Today is World Diabetes Day
The number of people with diabetes has risen from 108 million in 1980 to 422 million in 2014
In 2015, an estimated 1.6 million deaths were directly caused by diabetes.
Another 2.2 million deaths were attributable to high blood glucose in 2012.
Over the past 30 years, the number of people with diabetes in the US has quadrupled, and it has been predicted that this could increase to as many as one in every three adults by 2050
Up to 70% of cases of type 2 diabetes could be prevented through the adoption of a healthy lifestyle
Veri-te™ Resveratrol & Diabetes
There are over 500 published studies, including multiple clinical trials, that investigate the effects of resveratrol on blood glucose control and metabolism.
Clinical studies show that resveratrol:
Helps control blood glucose levels
May improve insulin sensitivity
May reduce risk factors in prediabetes
Possesses an excellent safety profile and no observed drug interactions
- US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Diabetes 2014 report card. Available
from: www.cdc.gov/diabetes/library/reports/congress.html. Accessed September 2015.
- Agarwal B and Baur JA. Resveratrol and life extension. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2011;1215:
- Lagouge M, Argman C, Gerhart-Hines Z, et al. Resveratrol improves mitochondrial
function and protects against metabolic disease by activating SIRT1 and PGC-1alpha.
- Sun C, Zhang F, Ge X, et al. SIRT1 improves insulin sensitivity under insulin-resistant
conditions by repressing PTP1B. Cell Metab 2007;6(4):307-319.
- Timmers S, Konings E, Bilet L, et al. Calorie restriction-like effects of 30 days of resveratrol
supplementation on energy metabolism and metabolic profile in obese humans.
Cell Metab 2011;14(5): 612-622.
- Yun JM, Chien A, Jialal I and Devaraj S. Resveratrol up-regulates SIRT1 and inhibits
cellular oxidative stress in the diabetic milieu: mechanistic insights. J Nutr Biochem
- Farimani AR, Saidijam M, Goodarzi MT, et al. Effect of Resveratrol Supplementation on
the SNARE Proteins Expression in Adipose Tissue of Stroptozotocin-Nicotinamide
Induced Type 2 Diabetic Rats. Iran J Med Sci 2015;40(3):248-255.
- Sun L, Wang Y, Song Y, et al. Resveratrol restores the circadian rhythmic disorder of
lipid metabolism induced by high-fat diet in mice. Biochem Biophys Res Comm
- Bhatt JK, Thomas S and Nanjan MJ. Resveratrol supplementation improves glycemic
control in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Nutr Res 2012;32:53-541.
- Movahed A, Nabipour I, Lieben Louis X, et al. Antihyperglycemic effects of short term
resveratrol supplementation in type 2 diabetic patients. Evid Based Complement
Alternat Med 2013; Article ID 851267,2013. doi:10.1155/2013/851267.
- Brasnyo P, Molnar BA, Mohas M, et al. Resveratrol improves insulin sensitivity,
reduces oxidative stress and activates the Akt pathway in type 2 diabetic patients.
Br J Nutr 2011;106(3):383-389.
- Crandall JP, Oram V, Trandafirescu G, et al. Pilot study of resveratrol in older adults with
impaired glucose tolerance. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2012;67(12):1307-1312.
- Liu K, Zhou R, Wang B and Mi M-T. Effect of resveratrol on glucose control and
insulin sensitivity: a meta-analysis of 11 randomized controlled trials. Am J Clin Nutr